Qingdao No. 1 International School of Shandong Province (QISS) is a WASC-accredited International School that serves the expatriate community of Qingdao from Pre-K to 12th grade. We are located in a modern, state-of-the-art campus that is equipped with custom-designed technological, academic and athletic resources that ensure a world-class educational experience for our students. Our students and teachers come from all over the world, and we seek to use our community’s diversity to enhance teaching and learning and create an educational experience that will ensure our students’ success in top universities and competitive professional fields.
Our mission is to provide a challenging academic program that develops the core character traits of vitality, courage, sensitivity, intelligence, and compassion in our students and the theme of our program is “Developing a Mindful Heart”. We address this through our Expected School wide Learning Results (ESLRs).
QISS students demonstrate the ESLRs by being:
Passionate/Active human beings who:
- Demonstrate a positive attitude, enthusiasm and active participation.
- Set and pursue personal goals with vitality and persistence.
- Seek intellectual, physical and emotional balance to achieve personal well-being for themselves and others.
Courageous individuals who:
- Act on their principles with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness, justice and respect for others.
- Take risks to explore new possibilities and are willing to defend their beliefs.
Sensitive communicators who:
- Understand and express ideas and information in multiple languages.
- Understand and appreciate their own cultures and personal histories and are open minded about the perspectives, values and traditions of others.
- Work effectively and willingly in collaboration with others.
- Develop basic competency in Mandarin and an appreciation of Chinese culture.
- Express and appreciate beauty.
Intelligent life-long learners who:
- Apply thinking skills critically and creatively.
- Inquire and research effectively.
- Acquire deep knowledge and understanding across a range of disciplines.
- Reflect on their own learning and experience to assess and understand their strengths and limitations
Compassionate global citizens who:
- Show empathy toward the needs and feelings of others.
- Have a personal commitment to service.
- Take action to make a positive difference in the lives of others and to the environment.